Reaching new heights

— August 5th, 2010

Clifton House was originally designed as a warehouse in 1936 and occupies a significant site opposite the British Library in Euston Road.  The existing sixth floor has now been demolished and is to be re-built with the new structure designed to support the three new additional storeys. Retail units remain at ground floor level, floors 1-6 accommodate a new hotel and floors 7-9 will provide new office accommodation. To the rear of the building two six-storey tubular steel pylon structures will be constructed externally to provide a stability system for the raised building.

The retained facades are to be fully refurbished with new double-glazed windows, and walls will be insulated to meet current standards.  The new office accommodation is to be clad in a unitised glass system and the new floors will incorporate substantial roof terraces. This element has been designed in association with Robin Partington.

The building remains fully occupied at ground floor level and partially occupied on the upper office floors whilst the works are carried out.